Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TQ 86 SW 70
Type of record:Listed Building


Grade II* listed building. Main construction periods 1540 to 1899. Formerly Yauger Manor

Grid Reference:TQ 82645 63015
Map Sheet:TQ86SW

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II*) 1069375: QUEENDOWN WARREN

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

Description from record TQ 86 SW 4:
[TQ 8264 6304] Warren House [NAT] (1) Queensdown Warren House is the old Yauger Manor House which stood beside Yauger Farm [TQ 8332 6417] until 1841 when it was taken down and re-erected at Queensdown Warren. (2) Originally called Yaugher Manor; has date stone 1566 over the porch. (3) Queensdown Warren, formerly Warren House, is as described by its former owner Faussett-Osbourne (Authority 2). The exact location of its former site is not known but a map of the Hartlip Estate, dated 1700, which shows a building at TQ 8325 6419 and which is assumed by him, to be the Manor House in question. The site lies in a well established orchard and there is now nothing on the ground which might confirm this assumption. (4) Manor House, Grade II*, Queendown Warren. Circa 1560. (For full description see list.) (5)

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
4/24 Queendown Warren
27.8.52 II*
Manor House. Circa 1560. Timber framed and exposed with plaster infill with plain tiled roof. Two storeys and garret on flint plinth, with continuous first floor jetty returned left and right and carried on dragon posts. Roof hipped to left, gabled to right, with stacks centre-right and projecting end left. Offcentre 2 storey gabled porch, jettied at first floor and eaves. Porch and first floor to left with ornamental panelling (concave-sided diamonds), other wise close-studded. Four wood mullioned windows on first floor, those in porch and to right segmental oriels with side lights. Two segmental oriels with sidelights left and right on ground floor and 1 mullioned window to left. Boarded door in moulded surround in porch. C19 brick and flint additions to rear. Grant to build given temp. Philip and Mary (1554-58) initialed fireplace of owner 1558-73. Date 1566 on porch a C19 supposition. Originally called Yaugher Manor and near Hartlip village, moved to present site 1841 by William Bland of Hartlip Place (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 344). Listing NGR: TQ8266862710 (6)

<1> OS 6" 1961 (OS Card Reference). SKE48369.

<2> Arch Cantiana 35 1921 40 illust (H G Faussett-Osbourne) (OS Card Reference). SKE36487.

<3> MHLG 2403/11/A Swale RD 39 Nov 1960 (OS Card Reference). SKE47091.

<4> F1 CFW 21-NOV-61 (OS Card Reference). SKE42692.

<5> DOE (HHR) Swale Boro Kent 27 Nov 1984 43 (OS Card Reference). SKE40620.

<6> Field report for monument TQ 86 SW 4 - November, 1961 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4618.

<6> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1961.
<2>OS Card Reference: Arch Cantiana 35 1921 40 illust (H G Faussett-Osbourne).
<3>OS Card Reference: MHLG 2403/11/A Swale RD 39 Nov 1960.
<4>OS Card Reference: F1 CFW 21-NOV-61.
<5>OS Card Reference: DOE (HHR) Swale Boro Kent 27 Nov 1984 43.
<6>Map: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
<6>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 86 SW 4 - November, 1961.