Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TQ 77 NE 1079
Type of record:Listed Building


Grade II listed building. Main construction periods 1667 to 1699

A regular multiyard farmstead.

Grid Reference:TQ 7597 7611
Map Sheet:TQ77NE

Monument Types

  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1667 AD to 1699 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II) 1085773: MARSHGATE AND CARTSHED TO EAST

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
COOLING CP TQ 77 NE 2/28 21.11.66 Marshgate & cartshed to east GV II
House. Late C17. Red brick with plain tiled roof. Parallel ridge plan. 2 storeys with attics; roof hipped to north, 2 dormers. Timber cornice with Gothick detail. Regular 5 window front, glazing bar sashes. Central door- way with moulded architrave, 6 panel door and overlight. Timber-framed and open on low brick walls to north, south and east. Hipped tiled roofs. Timber posts with braces.
Listing NGR: TQ7591876205

Description from record MKE83295:
Type: Regular courtyard multi-yard
Farmhouse: Farmhouse attached to agricultural range
Position: Hamlet
Survivial: Altered - partial loss of original form (less than 50%)

This feature is recorded in the English Heritage Historic Area Assessment for Cooling Parish. The report states:
"The village [of Cooling] was edged by farmsteads, Cooling Castle to the west and Marshgate to the east. Both built new farmhouses in the 17th century; the former in the mid years, and the latter at the end of the century".
"The farmstead at Marshgate retains a farmhouse and several outbuildings, very loosely grouped around an extensive yard, and a substantial pond on the east side. The oldest structures adjoin the road; most notably the late 17th century red-brick farmhouse (Marshgate House) and cart shed to the east (jointly listed grade II). A tall two-storey brick stable with a loft on the upper floor stands on the east side of the yard. This incorporates reused stone in its walls, including dressed blocks and at least one carved fragment. A group of outbuildings on the north side of the yard were partially replaced by large sheds in the 20th century" (3)

English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

<1> Forum Heritage Services, 2012, Kent Farmsteads & Landscape Project (Unpublished document). SKE18075.

<2> English Heritage, 2009, Historic Farmsteads: A Manual for Mapping (Unpublished document). SKE18076.

<3> historic england, 2014, Hoo Peninsula Outline Historic Area Assessment: Cooling Parish. Research Report 51-2014. (Bibliographic reference). SKE31592.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
---Map: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
<1>Unpublished document: Forum Heritage Services. 2012. Kent Farmsteads & Landscape Project.
<2>Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2009. Historic Farmsteads: A Manual for Mapping.
<3>Bibliographic reference: historic england. 2014. Hoo Peninsula Outline Historic Area Assessment: Cooling Parish. Research Report 51-2014..