Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TQ 85 SW 190
Type of record:Listed Building


Grade II listed building. Main construction periods 1600 to 1899 Water powered corn mill. In continuous use from medieval times.

Grid Reference:TQ 8231 5312
Map Sheet:TQ85SW

Monument Types

  • CORN MILL (CORN MILL, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WATERMILL (WATERMILL, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II) 1185669: ABBEY MILL HOUSE

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

Description from record TQ 85 SW 11 :
[TQ 8230 5312] Abbey Mill [NAT] (1) Leeds Abbey Corn Mill went out of use 30 or more years ago after continuous service from mediaeval times. The base of the present building consists of mediaeval Kent ragstone which may be contemporary with Leeds Abbey [AO/61/286/7] (2) Only the stone-built lower storey, containing the wheel and millstone, remains. This, roofed over with parapets added, has been restored and is in good condition. The millers house adjoining, now a private residence, is of similar stone and contemporary with the mill. (3)

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
LEEDS LOWER STREET TQ 8253 (east side)
8/95 Abbey Mill House (formerly listed as 20.10.52. Abbey Mill) GV II House. Early C17. Coursed galletted stone with timber-framed dormers and plain tile roof. Lobby entry plan, 2 storeys and attics. Moulded bressumer to close-studded left end gable. Multiple brick ridge stack slightly off-centre to right. 2 large gabled close-studded dormers, each with coved jetty to gable, moulded bargeboards, pendant, and 4-light ovolo-moulded mullion window. Irregular fenestration of two 4-light ovolo-moulded mullion windows to each floor and similar small 2-light window under stack on first floor. Boarded door beneath stack. Integral with mill building to rear, of which only stone ground-floor walls and most of machinery, including very large C19 water wheel, remain. Interior: side purlin roof.
Listing NGR: TQ8231053128 (6)

<1> OS 6" 1961 (OS Card Reference). SKE48369.

<2> Arch Cant 71 1957 117-8 Illus (R H Goodsall) (OS Card Reference). SKE35485.

<3> F1 ASP 24-Nov-61 (OS Card Reference). SKE42267.

<4> DOE (HHR) Boro of Maidstone Kent 14 Dec 1984 48 (OS Card Reference). SKE39866.

<5> Field report for monument TQ 85 SW 11 - November, 1961 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4488.

<6> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1961.
<2>OS Card Reference: Arch Cant 71 1957 117-8 Illus (R H Goodsall).
<3>OS Card Reference: F1 ASP 24-Nov-61.
<4>OS Card Reference: DOE (HHR) Boro of Maidstone Kent 14 Dec 1984 48.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 85 SW 11 - November, 1961.
<6>XYMap: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. [Mapped feature: #28324 Listed building, ]