Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TR 34 SW 82
Type of record:Monument
Name:Western Heights, Dover

Summary

The Western Heights Napoleonic defences were designed to prevent an enemy from capturing Dover for use as a bridgehead. Towards the end of the 18th century work began on permanent defences, and the Grand Shaft and Drop Redoubt were completed early in the 19th century. Work continued on the Citadel, the strong point on the highest part of the ridge and on the outlying bastions and 'lines', until 1814 when the armistice was signed with France and all work ceased. The defences were eventually completed in the mid nineteenth century. Abandoned by the War Office in the 1960's parts of the site have been restored, the Grand Shaft and Drop Redoubt, and part (the Citadel) used as a Young Offenders Institution (location accurate to the nearets 1m based on available information).


Grid Reference:TR 31074 40681
Map Sheet:TR34SW
Parish:DOVER, DOVER, KENT

Monument Types

  • FORTIFICATION (Abandoned 1960's?, Post Medieval to Modern - 1770 AD? to 1960 AD?)
  • BATTERY (Abandoned 1960's, Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD?)
  • FORT (Abandoned 1960's?, Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD?)
  • MAGAZINE (Abandoned 1960's?, Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • BASTION (Abandoned 1960's, Post Medieval to Modern - 1815 AD to 2050 AD)
  • JUVENILE PRISON (Modern - 1960 AD? to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020298: FORTIFICATIONS, ROMAN LIGHTHOUSE AND MEDIEVAL CHAPEL ON WESTERN HEIGHTS

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

(TR 31554115) Drop Redoubt (NAT) (TR 31454077) Battery (dis) (NAT) (TR 30654032) South Ditch (NAT) (TR 31064085) Detached Bastion (NAT) (TR 30454030) Old Gun Sites (NAT) Ditch (NAT) (at various locations) (1)

TR 312408, Western Heights Fortifications. (2)

The Western Heights were first fortified, c.1779, with field works then in 1781 it was decided that they should be replaced with permanent defences. The object was to construct the strongest fortifications in the county. The Grand Shaft (TR 34 SW 210) was completed in 1802 and at about the same time the Citadel and Drop Redoubt were begun as separate forts. They were subsequently combined when lines were constructed to join them. The defences were completed following the report of the Royal Commission of 1860. The condition of the fortifications is generally fair except for some demolition and damage by vandals in the unenclosed sections. Scheduled. (3,4)

Under Guardianship. (5)

Details of the Drop Redoubt. (6)

(TR 3140)(sited to locality only) Napoleonic Defences. The Western Heights Napoleonic defences were designed to prevent an enemy from Capturing Dover for use as a bridgehead. Towards the end of the 18th century work began on permanent defences, and the Grand Shaft and Drop Redoubt were completed early in the 19th century. Work continued on the Citadel, the strong point on the highest part of the ridge and on the outlying bastions and 'lines', until 1814 when the armistice was signed with France and all work ceased. The defences were eventually completed in the mid nineteenth century. (7)

A series of eighteen trial pits excavated on Eurotunnel Developments Ltd site. No artificial pre-Napoleonic features nor early topsoils were observed.(13)

Additional Bibliography (8, 9, 11, 12, 13)

From the National Heritage list for England:

Details

The monument includes the remains of a Roman lighthouse, field terraces and a medieval chapel subsequently surrounded by 18th, 19th and 20th century defensive works, all situated on a prominent chalk ridge known as the Western Heights which overlooks the town of Dover. The Roman lighthouse, the medieval chapel and a portion of the northern defences are in the care of the Secretary of State. The Grand Shaft and the Officers' Mess (now used by HM Prison Service) are Grade II Listed Buildings.

The lighthouse on Western Heights is one of a pair constructed in around the 1st century AD on the headlands flanking either side of the major Roman port of Dubris to help guide in cross-channel traffic. Its foundations survive as two 1m square blocks of flint, tile and mortar which were apparently moved to their present location on the eastern side of the Drop Redoubt during construction of the officers' quarters in 1850. However, the remains are close to their original position. In the 12th century a chapel was built on the southern edge of the Heights, 500m south west of the lighthouse. The chapel, of which the flint and mortar core of the foundations and a small area of stone facing survive, had a circular nave 10.6m in diameter and a rectangular chancel 7.6m in length and 4.3m wide. Its unusual form, which mirrors that of the church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, has led to suggestions that it was constructed by the Knights Templars, a group of whom are believed to have left Dover before 1185. Western Heights has been extensively modified by landscaping associated with its later military usage but the lighthouse, chapel and a fragmentary series of field terraces visible immediately beyond the scarp at the foot of the northern defences demonstrate that it was occupied from much earlier times.

The defences on Western Heights were initially begun in 1779 during the war with America, Spain, Holland and France, and although in 1781 the Board of Ordnance purchased 33 acres of land, by the end of the war in 1783 the works were still not completed. A map of 1784 shows a bastioned fort on the site of the present Drop Redoubt, a series of earthwork batteries and a second bastioned work extending for the full width of the western side of the plateau. A 350m length of bank and double ditch situated on the scarp between the present Citadel and North Centre Bastions probably belongs to this early building phase. Little further work was done at the site until the outbreak of war with France in 1793. Between 1793 and 1796, 4,885 pounds was spent on building, but this ceased entirely from 1797 to 1804. Following a renewed invasion scare, during 1803-1804 plans were drawn up by Captain William Ford to enhance the existing fortifications with the intention of housing a garrison of sufficient size to secure the Heights against attack, whilst enabling it to direct flanking fire onto any invasion force attempting to assault the town and port from the west. The defences were to consist of a main defensive point or citadel on the western side of the Heights and a redoubt on the eastern side linked by strong defensive lines; their construction began in April 1804 under the direction of Lt Col William Twiss. The Drop Redoubt was built between 1804 and 1815 and commands extensive views of the town, harbour and castle. It has bomb proof barracks for 200 men and was intended to mount 12 of the heavy 24 pounder guns, with two carronades for close protection. When initially begun, the Citadel consisted of a large parade ground surrounded by store houses, barracks, magazines and an unrevetted defensive ditch. It was originally planned to arm the Citadel with forty-three 18 pounder guns, and 31 carronades. Water for the barracks was supplied via a well 130m in depth.

Troops needed to be able to move rapidly between the Heights and the town below and this was facilitated by the construction of the Grand Shaft staircase. The Grand Shaft was built between 1805 and 1807 to a design by Capt Hyde Page and consists of three spiral staircases around a vertical circular brick shaft which descends for 140 steps to a tunnel linking up with Snargate Street. Slightly north of the Grand Shaft was the Grand Shaft Barracks with accommodation for 1,300 men, 59 officers and eight horses. Both this and a 180 bed military hospital near the Archcliffe Gate were completed in 1804 but have subsequently been demolished to foundation level. When the armistice with France was signed in 1814 both the Citadel and the North Centre Bastion on the North Lines remained unfinished. Between 1793 and 1815 a total of 238,889 pounds had been spent on the fortifications. In 1815 just 1000 pounds were spent and in 1816 nothing at all. Only the Drop Redoubt remained garrisoned after 1816 and the Heights were let for grazing. Work in completing and revetting the ditches around the Citadel did not begin again until 1853 and also included the addition of flanking casemates and a two storey casemated barracks in the South Lines designed to accommodate an extra 500 men. At the end of the Crimean War in 1856 five returning regiments were temporarily encamped upon the Heights in tents.

The unification of Germany and the perceived threat of Naploeon III led, in 1859, to the appointment of a Royal Commission to review the state of England's fortifications. Both the Commission's secretary, Major W F D Jervois and his superior, General Sir John Fox Burgoyne, Inspector General of Fortifications had already reviewed Dover and as a result it was recommended that work continue to complete, deepen and revet the North and South Lines, to add flank defences to the Drop Redoubt, construct officers' accommodation within the Citadel and add an advanced work on the high ground at its western side. The Citadel and the Drop Redoubt were also to be made intervisible and the resultant landscaping necessitated the removal of the top of the ridge, with the excavated chalk used to increase the angle of the scarps beyond the lines. The completed lines stretch for almost 12km and consist of 9m wide ditches cut to a depth of between 9m and 15m into the natural chalk. The sides of the ditches are faced either with brick, or in later constructional phases flint with coursed brickwork and pits were dug at each angle in order to prevent direct passage along their base. The angles are also overlooked by loopholed galleries or casemates running behind the revetment walls, or have loopholed covered walkways or caponiers, all of which would have allowed the ditches to be swept with artillery and small arms fire whilst providing access to outworks such as the Citadel Outer Bastion and the North Centre Detached Bastion, finally completed between 1860 and 1874.

It had been recognized as early as the Napoleonic war that any attack on the Heights would come from the high ground immediately west of the Citadel and the new Western Outwork, completed before 1867, was designed to combat this threat. The outwork is triangular in plan and consists of a converging pair of ditches which extend for 200m from the western side of the Citadel and originally met in a polygonal work with two casemated and loopholed caponiers. The caponiers and the tip of the Western Outwork have been buried by landfill but survive intact. The defences of the Citadel were further enhanced by the new Officers' Mess of 1860, designed by Jervois and incorporating a bomb proof roof, loopholes and embrasures. Additional accommodation for 400 soldiers was provided by South Front Barracks, built in 1860 within a deep trench excavated on the southern face of the Heights. The barracks also had a bomb proof roof of vaulted brick and earth, but were demolished in the 1960s. In around 1867 the North Lines Right Battery was constructed immediately west of the Drop Redoubt. It was intended to be mounted with four 64 pounder rifled muzzle loaders (RMLs). This battery, which may also have been known as St Stephen's Battery, survives as a series of emplacements. A second battery, Drop Battery was already in existence immediately to the south of the redoubt and was mounted with three 24 pounders. By 1876 it had three 42 pounders and three 7 inch rifled breech loaders (RBLs), but was disarmed in 1886 and only the two magazines remain visible.

There were originally two access points to the Western Heights, the North Entrance and the Archcliffe Gate. The North Entrance has been superseded by a modern road cut through the North Lines in 1967 but survives intact. It consists of bridge supports originally carrying the North Military Road across the outer ditch onto a tenaille or island within the North Lines, from which the road continued southwards across a second bridge and through a tunnel in the rampart to the inner gateway. The inner gateway includes a guardroom and a stairway giving access to an artillery store, a magazine and gunrooms looking out across the North Lines. Southern access was via the South Military Road and the Archcliffe Gate, a substantial brick gate with an external drawbridge which was demolished to foundation level in the 1960s. The ditches adjacent to it were filled with rubble, but a partially buried caponier is visible to the west in addition to a series of bricked-up caves cut into the natural chalk face. These are of unknown function but are clearly shown on a plan of 1814 and may relate to the pre-military use of Western Heights.

After the major work on Western Heights during the 1860s and 1870s, efforts in the latter part of the 19th century concentrated on improving coastal defence. St Martin's Battery was constructed on a terrace cut into the southern slope of the Heights in the 1870s and mounted three 10 inch rifled muzzle loaders (RMLs). However, the battery was superseded by the construction between 1898 and 1900 of Citadel Battery, and had been disarmed by 1908. Citadel Battery lay immediately west of the Western Outworks, and contained three 9.2 inch guns. The battery survives as three semi-circular concrete gun pits, with underlying magazines, holdfasts and the remains of the metal gun floors, in addition to some associated structures.

Following the completion of the new Admiralty harbour at Dover in 1907, an Admiralty Port War Signal Station controlling all shipping within the harbour was located on Western Heights, but moved to Dover castle in 1914. During World War I the Heights were primarily used for their barrack accommodation, although Citadel Battery remained armed and in 1916 Drop Redoubt was provided with searchlights and two 6 pounder Hotchkiss guns to counter air raids, whilst the Citadel received a single 3 inch gun. Following the outbreak of World War II and the renewed threat of invasion, three 6 inch breech loaders were fitted to the disused St Martin's Battery, where the old gun pits were filled with concrete, and concrete and brick gun houses built over the top. Two Type 23 pillboxes were also constructed nearby. The Citadel Battery now mounted two 9.2 inch guns and was provided with two Type 24 pillboxes and a spigot mortar. A further series of Type 23 and 24 pillboxes as built around the perimeter of the Heights for close defence and as complemented by weapons pits, slit trenches and blast shelters. The Western Heights were gradually abandoned by the Army in stages between 1954 and 1961.

A number of features are excluded from the scheduling; these are all fences, display, security and custodial fittings and facilities, modern services, buildings, goalposts, playground equipment, the surfaces of all paths, roads and hard standings, all standing buildings within the Citadel and the Western Outworks, the building 100m north east of the North Entrance, the two buildings south of Citadel Road adjacent to Heights Terrace and the Gun Shed; the ground beneath all these features is, however, included.

The construction of a series of houses immediately east of the Citadel and in the area adjacent to the North Entrance is considered to have caused significant disturbance to archaeological deposits relating to the militia huts, the Royal Engineers buildings, the School Master's Quarters and the coal yard. These houses and their gardens, including the ground beneath them, are therefore totally excluded from the scheduling.

Reasons for Designation

The fortifications at Western Heights survive well as a series of earthworks and brick and masonry structures which will retain archaeological evidence relating to the adaptation and development of their defences over more than 150 years. The remains represent the largest, most elaborate and impressive surviving example of early 19th century fortification in England. Together with other contemporary defensive works at Archcliffe Fort, Fort Burgoyne and Dover Castle, Western Heights provides an insight into the continuing military importance of Dover during the 19th and 20th centuries. In addition, the Roman lighthouse, the medieval chapel and the field terracing will retain archaeological remains relating to the earlier occupation of the headland. The use of parts of the monument for recreational activities and the provision of history and nature trails give it importance as a public amenity and a valuable educational resource.


The former site of the Grand Shaft Barracks, including the Grand Shaft and the adjacent Gun Shed, were surveyed and recorded in 1999. (15)

St Martin's battery, a 19th century reused during the 1940s with additional defences including pillboxes, was surveyed in 1998. (16)

The original entrances to the fortress were surveyed and their history charted in 1999. (17)

The North Centre and Detached Bastions were surveyed in 1999. (18)

The Citadel Battery was surveyed in 1999. (19)

The former site of the South Front Barracks were surveyed and recorded in 1999. (20)

Additional survey work was carried out on miscellaneous structures associated with the fortress in 1998, including the Drop Battery, the Gun Shed, the REME workshop, a light anti aircraft battery and the numerous pillboxes around the Western Heights. (21)

The citadel was surveyed and a RCHME report produced in 2004 (22)

A full account of the history and development of the site was produced in 2012 as part of a conservation framework for the Western Heights.(23)


<1> OS 1:10000 1981 (OS Card Reference). SKE48167.

<2> DOE (IAM) AMs Eng 2 1978 112 (OS Card Reference). SKE40688.

<3> DOE (IAM) Record Form no plan or date (OS Card Reference). SKE40759.

<4> Bennett, D., 1977, A Handbook of Kent's Defences 1540-1945, Handbook of Kent's Defences 1540-1945 1977 17-30 (D Bennett) (Monograph). SKE7811.

<5> HBMC Guardianship List NS Feb 1984 3 (OS Card Reference). SKE43747.

<6> Doug Crellin, 1973, Dover's 19th Century Fortifications - Part 2, KAR 33 1973 73-76 (D Crellin) (Article in serial). SKE7827.

<7> Doug Crellin, 1973, 19th Century Fortifications, Dover - Part 1, KAR 32 1973 44-46 (D Crellin) (Article in serial). SKE7826.

<8> Canterbury Archaeological Trust, 1990, Dover Western Heights: Grand Shaft Barracks: An Interim Archaeological Assessment Preparatory to Evaluation (Unpublished document). SKE6727.

<9> Southern Water Services, 1993, Dover & Folkestone Wastewater Treatment scheme Environmental Statement (Unpublished document). SKE6815.

<10> Canterbury Archaeological Trust, 1999, Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at the Young Offender's Institution, Dover Western Heights Citadel, 1998-9 (Unpublished document). SKE7531.

<11> Victor Smith and Andrew Saunders, 2001, Kent's Defence Heritage, KD178 (Unpublished document). SKE6956.

<12> Coad, J. G. and Lewis, P. N., 1982, The Later Fortifications of Dover, Post-Medieval Archaeology, Number 16 1982 (Article in serial). SKE7828.

<13> Coad, J. G. and Lewis, P. N., 1982, Article on the later fortifications of Dover (Unpublished document). SKE51976.

<14> Canterbury Archaeological Trust, 1991, Dover Western Heights: Grand Shaft Barracks Report on the Trial Pits (Unpublished document). SKE8149.

<15> RCHME, 2000, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 4: The Grand Shaft Barracks, 19th and 20th-century infantry barracks (Unpublished document). SKE17499.

<16> RCHME, 2000, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 5: St Martin's Battery, 19th and 20th-century artillery battery (Unpublished document). SKE17500.

<17> RCHME, 2000, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 6: The Entrances to the Fortress: 19th-century artillery fortifications (Unpublished document). SKE17501.

<18> RCHME, 2001, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 7: North Centre and Detached Bastions: 19th-century fortifications (Unpublished document). SKE17503.

<19> RCHME, 2000, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 8: The Citadel Battery: An early 20th-century coastal battery (Unpublished document). SKE17504.

<20> RCHME, 2001, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 9: South Front Barracks. Later 19th and 20th-century barracks complex (Unpublished document). SKE17505.

<21> RCHME, 2001, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 10: Miscellaneous Structures 1850-1945 (Unpublished document). SKE17506.

<22> English Heritage, 2004, The Western Heights, Dover, Kent: Report No. 2: The Citadel (Unpublished document). SKE17690.

<23> Liv Gibbs, 2012, Built Heritage Conservation Framework for Dover Western Heights (Unpublished document). SKE17708.

<24> Kent Defence Research Group, c. 1993, Kent Defence Research Group 'Fort Logs' (Unpublished document). SKE52251.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 1:10000 1981.
<2>OS Card Reference: DOE (IAM) AMs Eng 2 1978 112.
<3>OS Card Reference: DOE (IAM) Record Form no plan or date.
<4>Monograph: Bennett, D.. 1977. A Handbook of Kent's Defences 1540-1945. Handbook of Kent's Defences 1540-1945 1977 17-30 (D Bennett).
<5>OS Card Reference: HBMC Guardianship List NS Feb 1984 3.
<6>Article in serial: Doug Crellin. 1973. Dover's 19th Century Fortifications - Part 2. KAR 33 1973 73-76 (D Crellin).
<7>Article in serial: Doug Crellin. 1973. 19th Century Fortifications, Dover - Part 1. KAR 32 1973 44-46 (D Crellin).
<8>Unpublished document: Canterbury Archaeological Trust. 1990. Dover Western Heights: Grand Shaft Barracks: An Interim Archaeological Assessment Preparatory to Evaluation.
<9>Unpublished document: Southern Water Services. 1993. Dover & Folkestone Wastewater Treatment scheme Environmental Statement.
<10>Unpublished document: Canterbury Archaeological Trust. 1999. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at the Young Offender's Institution, Dover Western Heights Citadel, 1998-9.
<11>Unpublished document: Victor Smith and Andrew Saunders. 2001. Kent's Defence Heritage. KD178.
<12>Article in serial: Coad, J. G. and Lewis, P. N.. 1982. The Later Fortifications of Dover. Post-Medieval Archaeology, Number 16 1982.
<13>Unpublished document: Coad, J. G. and Lewis, P. N.. 1982. Article on the later fortifications of Dover.
<14>Unpublished document: Canterbury Archaeological Trust. 1991. Dover Western Heights: Grand Shaft Barracks Report on the Trial Pits.
<15>Unpublished document: RCHME. 2000. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 4: The Grand Shaft Barracks, 19th and 20th-century infantry barracks.
<16>Unpublished document: RCHME. 2000. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 5: St Martin's Battery, 19th and 20th-century artillery battery.
<17>Unpublished document: RCHME. 2000. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 6: The Entrances to the Fortress: 19th-century artillery fortifications.
<18>Unpublished document: RCHME. 2001. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 7: North Centre and Detached Bastions: 19th-century fortifications.
<19>Unpublished document: RCHME. 2000. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 8: The Citadel Battery: An early 20th-century coastal battery.
<20>Unpublished document: RCHME. 2001. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 9: South Front Barracks. Later 19th and 20th-century barracks complex.
<21>Unpublished document: RCHME. 2001. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No 10: Miscellaneous Structures 1850-1945.
<22>Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2004. The Western Heights, Dover, Kent: Report No. 2: The Citadel.
<23>Unpublished document: Liv Gibbs. 2012. Built Heritage Conservation Framework for Dover Western Heights.
<24>Unpublished document: Kent Defence Research Group. c. 1993. Kent Defence Research Group 'Fort Logs'.

Related records

TR 34 SW 421Parent of: A Second World War type A Quad pillbox, Dover Western Heights (Building)
TR 34 SW 977Parent of: A Second World War type B Quad pillbox, Drop Redoubt, Dover Western Heights (Building)
TR 34 SW 477Parent of: A Second World War type B Quad pillbox, North Entrance, Dover Western Heights (Building)
MWX43601Parent of: Barbed wire obstructions, Dover (Monument)
MWX43624Parent of: Barbed wire obstructions, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2115Parent of: Casemated gunrooms and musketry gallery at the North Entrance of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 887Parent of: Citadel Battery, Dover Western Heights (Monument)
TR 34 SW 423Parent of: Citadel south counterscarp type A Quad pillbox, Western Heights, Dover (Building)
TR 34 SW 422Parent of: Citadel south counterscarp type A Quad pillbox, Western Heights, Dover (Building)
TR 34 SW 2111Parent of: Ditches and Tenaille at the North Entrance of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2118Parent of: Drawbridge crossing the south ditch at the Southern Entrance of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 621Parent of: Drop Redoubt, Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2797Parent of: Early layout of the North East Line of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2794Parent of: Former location of early roads running through the Western Heights (Monument)
TR 34 SW 975Parent of: Former site of Drop Battery, Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 974Parent of: Former site of South Front Barracks, Dover Western Heights (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2125Parent of: Former site of the Military Hospital at the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2119Parent of: Gatehouse (Archcliffe Gate) for the Southern Entrance to the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 701Parent of: GRAND SHAFT STAIRS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS (Listed Building)
TR 34 SW 2120Parent of: Gunrooms and a musketry gallery at the Southern Entrance to the Western Heights, Dover. (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2116Parent of: Inner gate, guard house and water tanks at the North Entrance of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2106Parent of: Living Accomodation for the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, North Military Road, Western Heights, Dover (Building)
TR 34 SW 2798Parent of: Napoleonic layout of the north entrance to the Western Heights (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2112Parent of: Outer and inner bridge at the North Entrance of the Western Heights, Dover. (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2113Parent of: Outer entrance at the North Entrance of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2107Parent of: Possible site of an Observation Post, North Military Road, Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 979Parent of: Second World War Light Anti Aircraft battery, Dover Western Heights (Monument)
TR 34 SW 473Parent of: Second World War Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Workshop, Dover Western Heights (Building)
TR 34 SW 424Parent of: Second World War type C Quad pillbox, St Martin's Battery, Western Heights (Building)
TR 34 SW 420Parent of: Second World War type D Quad pillbox, Citadel, Dover Western Heights (Building)
MWX43468Parent of: Slit Trench's south of Western Heights, Dover. (Monument)
TR 34 SW 474Parent of: St. Martin's Battery, Western Heights, Dover (Building)
TR 34 SW 2121Parent of: St. Martins Magazine, Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 491Parent of: The Citadel, Western Heights, Dover (Building)
TR 34 SW 2066Parent of: The Detached and North Centre Bastion of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2123Parent of: The North East Line of the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2122Parent of: The North Lines, Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2124Parent of: The South Lines, Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2117Parent of: The southern entrance ditch of the Western Heights, Dover. (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2799Parent of: Timber stables near the North entrance of the Western Heights (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2114Parent of: Tunnel between the inner and outer gates of the North Entrance to the Western Heights, Dover (Monument)
TR 34 SW 2800Parent of: Water tanks and tool yard associated with early layout of the detached and north centre bastion (Monument)
MWX43471Parent of: WWII Military Buildings south east of Western Heights. (Monument)
TR 34 SW 972Part of: Former site of the Grand Shaft Barracks, Dover Western Heights (Monument)

Related thematic articles