It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.
|HER Number:||TR 06 SW 284|
|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site and remains of Napoleonic-era Barracks, Ospringe|
A small scale excavation K45 on the site of a Napoleonic-era Barracks revealed a brick wall foundation, probably part of the canteen or storehouse. Another excavation nearby, K46, yielded post medieval brick and tile demolition material.
|Grid Reference:||TR 00264 60934|
|Parish:||FAVERSHAM, SWALE, KENT|
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1790 AD to 1820 AD)
- DEMOLITION LAYER (Post Medieval - 1820 AD to 1830 AD)
If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.
Two small scale excavations took place on the site of a Napoleonic-era Barracks, known from map evidence to have existed here from around 1790 to 1820. The excavation was part of a research project being carried out in the Ospringe area by the Faversham Society Archaeological Research Group primarily into prehistoric and early medieval human activity but also into any other 'missed' aspects of Ospinge's history. A red 18th century brick wall foundation, 33 centimetres wide and running north to south, was found in K45 and was probably part of the canteen or storehouse. This wall was bedded into bright yellow brickearth of unusual purity - possibly this was an artificial deposit, maybe the original parade ground. In K46, demolition material of peg tile and red 18th century brick was found at the same level as the brick wall foundation in K45. (1)
<1> Faversham Society Archaeological Research Group, 2012, Understanding Ospringe Project 2008-9 and 2011 (Unpublished document). SKE17255.
Sources and further reading
|<1>||Unpublished document: Faversham Society Archaeological Research Group. 2012. Understanding Ospringe Project 2008-9 and 2011. |