It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.
|HER Number:||TR 15 SE 27|
|Type of record:||Listed Building|
|Name:||Bridge Place (17th c)|
Bridge Place (17th c)
Summary from record TR 15 SE 320:
Grade II* listed building. Main construction periods 1667 to 1729
|Grid Reference:||TR 1812 5390|
|Parish:||BRIDGE, CANTERBURY, KENT|
- HOUSE (HOUSE, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SITE (Post Medieval - 1667 AD to 1729 AD)
If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.
(TR 18115391) Bridge Place (NAT) (1) Bridge Place, Bourne Park Road, Grade I. L-shaped building which is all that remains of a large mansion built by Sir Arnold Braems in the late C17, the remainder having been demolished by John Taylor of Bifrons, Patrixbourne, between 1704 and 1729. Red brick. (for full description see list). (2) Additional bibliography. (3)
Description from record TR 15 SE 320:
The following text is from the original listed building designation:
1. 5273 BRIDGE BOURNE PARK ROAD (west side)
Bridge Place TR 1853 22/163 29.9.52 TR 15 SE 13/163
2. L-shaped building which is all that remains of a large mansion built by Sir Arnold Braems in the late C17, the remainder having been demolished by John Taylor of Bifrons, Patrixbourne, between 1704 and 1729. Red brick. Brick pilasters flank each window bay. Bracketed wood eaves cornice. Brick stringcourse. Steeply-pitched hipped tiled roof. The north or entrance front has 2 and a half storeys. Two hipped dormers. Modern porch. Five windows, irregular, with mostly casements with wooden mullions and transoms, some small square leaded panes but two bung sash windows with glazing bars. Some of the windows at the east end are dummies and were probably blocked when sash windows were inserted in the east front. Rusticated stone doorway with keystone in modern porch. The east front has 2 storeys, attic and basement. Four windows and 2 hipped dormers, windows having glazing bars and hung sashes. The interior has unusual carved cornices in two rooms and two painted stone fireplaces.
Listing NGR: TR1812153908
Two buildings appear to be shown on the Ordnance Survey drawings of the 1790s. The cropmark to the south (TR 15 SE 24) could represent part of this structure.
<1> OS 1:10000 1975 (OS Card Reference). SKE48160.
<2> DOE(HHR) Dist of City of Canterbury Kent Mar 1980 46 (OS Card Reference). SKE40914.
<3> BOE NE and E Kent 1983 160-161 (J Newman) (OS Card Reference). SKE38219.
Sources and further reading
|<1>||OS Card Reference: OS 1:10000 1975. |
|<2>||OS Card Reference: DOE(HHR) Dist of City of Canterbury Kent Mar 1980 46. |
|<3>||OS Card Reference: BOE NE and E Kent 1983 160-161 (J Newman). |