Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TR 05 NW 109
Type of record:Listed Building


Grade I listed building. Main construction periods 1200 to 1871. 13th century with 14th century chapel, 15th century aisles and West tower. Restored in 1871.There is strong evidence to suggest that Boughton was a minster in a secondary wave of minster creation in the 8th to mid 10th centuries.

Grid Reference:TR 04784 58554
Map Sheet:TR05NW

Monument Types

  • MINSTER (CHURCH, Early Medieval or Anglo-Saxon - 701 AD to 950 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1200 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (I) 1325956: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

Description from record TR 05 NW 4:
[TR 04785855] St Peter and St Paul's Church [NAT] (1) The Church of St Peter and St Paul, Broughton-under-Blean, contains C13th, C14th and C15th work. (2) In normal use. (3) Parish church of St Peter and St Paul, Grade I, South Street. C13th with C14th chapel, C15th aisles and tower. Restored in 1871. (For full description see list). (4)
Additional bibliography (5).
The earliest visible fabric in the church dates from the 13th century, but there must have been an earlier church here. This is suggested by the early 13th century arch into the south aisle from the south transept. The last vestiges of a perhaps 12th century longer aisled nave being demolished in the late 15th century.

In the later 13th century, the present chancel was built with an almost contemporary chapel to the north. There may also have been a contemporary south chapel which was enlarged in the early 14th century (see below). The south transept must also date from the later 13th century, and all these areas are characterized by the use of an internal roll string course, wide lancets (with rere-arches) and the use of comb-tooled Caen and Reigate stone masonry. The triple-lancets in the east wall of the chancel also have internal hoods and shafts with capitals and bases. There are also rectangular aumbries (east wall) and a piscina and mutilated sedilia (S. wall). Another piscina is in the S.E. corner (E. wall) of the north chapel.

Also in the later 13th century the arcades to the nave aisles were built, with roughly alternating round and octagonal piers. The western arches have clearly been cut short.

Early in the 14th century the south chapel was rebuilt, with a new south wall, and arch into the south transept. The south wall has a pair of 2-light Decorated cusped-ogee windows (much restored externally) and inside a cusped-ogee arch between the windows over a contemporary tomb. There is also a mutilated? sedilia to the east. (This chapel now contains the organ and is also a store).

The chancel arch, springing from head-corbels, is also probably early 14th century, and the simple rafter, collar and soulace roof to the east is also perhaps 14th century. It also has crenellated wall-plates, and was boarded until the 1871 restoration. The heightening of the early east gable and the making of the strange extended N. + S. quoins to the E. wall must also be 14th century.

The final major period of building before the Victorian restoration was in the late 15th century. The original west end was demolished (some fragments of it may be incorporated in the N. + S. walls of the west tower), and a new 'Kentish tower', with western angle-buttresses, was erected. It has a stair turret in the S.E. corner, and a west doorway (now the main entrance).

Some time after this the new north and south aisles (with contemporary N. porch) were built with a continuous plinth around the outside. The south aisle is very small, and only has single-light S. and W. windows (with square hood-moulds and ? original glazing bars). There was also apparently a south porch (the vestry until demolished in 1871). The north aisle is larger and has three two-light Perpendicular windows with a contemporary doorway and stair to the rood-loft in the north-east corner. High up doorways were also made on either side of the chancel arch for the Rood-loft. There are stoups inside the north and south doorways, that on the north having a deep bowl and a (now mutilated) square hood-mould. The 5-light S. window of the S. transept (and the angle buttresses on either side) is also probably 15th century.

Also in the late 15th century the roofs in the nave, south transept and North chapel were renewed with fine crown-post trusses on moulded tie-beams and crenellated wall-plates. Where necessary the tie-beams have been raised on arch-braces (eg. west end of nave, south transept and east truss in N. chapel) to leave arches and windows clear.

The remaining Rood screen (and smaller west screens to the N. + S. chapels) are probably early 16th century in date. The Rood lofts have gone, and a new 1871 top of the central screen has been made.

The inserted east window of the south chapel may also be early 16th century.

The church underwent a major restoration in 1871 costing £2,000 under J.P. St. Aubyn. It was completely refloored and reseated, and much external refacing (in heavy knapped flint) was undertaken as well as the renewal of various jambs, etc., in Bathstone. New roofs were made over the aisles and south chapel, and a new angle-buttress was added to the S.E. of the south chapel. A west gallery (built in 1784) was removed and a new font was installed.

A new church (St. Barnabus) was built at Boughton Street in 1896. (6)

In 2010 Canterbury Archaeological Trust carried out a watching brief on internal renovation work, external service trenches and on a new cess pit dug in the churchyard. The upper foundations of the north and south arcade piers were inspected, along with those of the aisles, the south transept and the west tower. The cess pit disturbed 19 inhumations. (7)

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
Church of St. Peter 4/75 and St. Paul 24.1.67 I GV
Parish Church. C13 with C14 chapel, C15 aisles and tower. Restored 1871 by St. Aubyn (£2000). Flint and rubble with plain tiled roofs. Chancel with north and south chapels, south transept, nave with aisles, western tower and north porch. Three stage western tower with plinth, string courses, cornice and battlements, 3 times offset diagonal buttresses and south east stair turret, square rising to obtagonal upper stages. Triple hollow moulded west doorway with drip mould, and 3 light Perpendicular traceried west window. South aisle and south transept with C15 Perpendicular fenestration, with large 5 light south window, and single C13 lancet in east walls of transept, with 2 large offset diagonal buttresses. South chapel with paired ogee-headed cusped lights. Chancel with lancet windows, and triple lancet east window. North chapel with lancet windows. North aisle with plinth, string course and parapet, small projecting rood vice, Perpendicular tracery, and north porch, with hollowed chamfered north doorway, attached shafts and moulded surround with drip mould. Interior: hollow chamfered tower arch and surround with octagonal moulded responds. The tower has lower floor level than the nave, cut into the nave arcades and exposes the original quoins of the nave west wall. Nave arcade of 3½ bays to north and 2½ bays to south, with solid west bay. Octagonal piers (but 1 round pier in north arcade) with double chamfered arches. Double hollow chamfered C14 arch on corbels to south transept. Roof of 5 crown posts, the east and west posts raised. South and north aisles with lean-to roofs, South transept with 1 chamfered arch to south aisle, double hollow chamfered arch to south chapel. Crown post roof on knee braces. Some partial survival of a roll moulded string course. Chancel arch with drip and keeled roll mould on carved head corbels. Chancel with 2 bay arcade to south chapel, with double chamfered arches on octagonal pier and responds. Triple lancet east window with slender attached shafts and heavy moulded string course. The lancet on south wall brought down to ground level to incorporate sedilia. Two bay double chamfered arcade to north chapel with heavily moulded and undercut pier. Trussed roof. North chapel with heavy string course, double chamfered arch to north aisle and roof of 2 crown posts. Fittings: C15 screen from north aisle to north chapel, with rood stair. Three bays with cusped tracery. Five bay C16 chancel screen with panelled cusped base. Four traceried lights to each bay with crenellated and sloping transoms, with attached shafts. Renewed top beam. The carving and enrichment has Renaissance details. Three bay screen to south chapel with moulded mullions, cusped tracery and four centred arched heads. Two tier sedilia in chancel with cusped ogee headed piscina, with attached shafts (for missing canopy?). Aumbreys to left and right on east wall. South chapel with sedile and reset brattished cornice, and trefoil-headed piscina. C14 cusped ogee wall niche with attached colonnettes running into the string course. Holy water stoups in south aisle, and with four centred arched head, incised spandrels and moulded combo in north aisle. Monuments: Chancel: sedilia backed with incised heraldic achievements. South chapel: John Petit, d.1630. Black wall plaque with white surround, moulded head and scrolled achievement on pilasters with obelisk finials, the panel bears small relief figures of man and wife opposite each other with a prayer desk. Winged cherub base. George Farewell, d.1741. Marble plaque wrapped around central pier of chancel arcade. Moulded base and top with shield over. South aisle: Anne Alleyn, d.1713. Black wall plaque with bolection moulded surround, cornice and scrolled achievement. North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1617. Epiphanius Evesham, signed. Knight and lady recumbent on sarcophagus, with rear screen and inscription part in Latin (for a Catholic family) with carved symbols of death, cherubs heads, arms and trophies, scrolled semi-pediment on pilasters. Two alabaster panels on the side of the tomb ,chest, showing 7 sons and 6 daughters of varying ages, grieving and expressing their emotion, surrounded by their favourite objects and pets (see also similar panels at Lynsted). John Hawkins, white wall plaque set up by grandson Thomas Hawkins in 1749 to commemorate the former's preservation of the family fortunes through the Interregnum. Dame Mary Knatchbull, d.1850. C13 style coffin slab, incised with cross and inscription, with railed enclosure (incorporating earlier monuments). Tower: Henry Pettit, d.1807; black wall plaque with white marble surround and pilasters with incised flowers in vases. 'Scrolled apron. Sir John Routh. Late C17 white marble wall plaque. Egg and tongue and bolection moulded surround with heavy bracketed base and scrolled and garlanded sides. Ionic attached columns, cornice and frieze, scrolled pediment and achievement. Brasses South transept: John Bett, d.1508. 15½" figures of John and Joan, poorly engraved, with English inscription. Elizabeth Driland, d.1591. 19½" well engraved figures of man and wife with 4 mourning daughters and (missing) sons, and partially lost coats of arms. Latin inscriptions to John Collins (d.1450) and Sir? Petit of Colkins, d.1596. North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1587, aged 101. Armoured figure 34" long, with fulsome inscription. Small wall plaque nearby to Elionor Sea, his wife, d.1553. (See B.O.E. Kent, II, 1983, 150-151) Listing NGR: TR0592857475 (8)

<1> OS 6" 1961 (OS Card Reference). SKE48369.

<2> MHLG (240A/11/A Nov 1960) 11 (OS Card Reference). SKE47026.

<3> F1 ASP 24-MAY-63 (OS Card Reference). SKE42266.

<4> DOE (HHR) Swale Boro Kent Nov 1986 27-29 (OS Card Reference). SKE40637.

<5> Field report for monument TR 05 NW 4 - May, 1963 (Bibliographic reference). SKE5199.

<6> Diocese of Canterbury (Tim Tatton-Brown), 1993, Church Survey - St Peter and St Paul's Church, Boughton under Blean. (Unpublished document). SKE7589.

<7> Canterbury Archaeological Trust, 2011, An archaeological watching brief during interior refurbishment and exterior drainage works at St Peter and St Paul's Church, South Street, Boughton under Blean (Unpublished document). SKE24851.

<8> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1961.
<2>OS Card Reference: MHLG (240A/11/A Nov 1960) 11.
<3>OS Card Reference: F1 ASP 24-MAY-63.
<4>OS Card Reference: DOE (HHR) Swale Boro Kent Nov 1986 27-29.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TR 05 NW 4 - May, 1963.
<6>Unpublished document: Diocese of Canterbury (Tim Tatton-Brown). 1993. Church Survey - St Peter and St Paul's Church, Boughton under Blean..
<7>Unpublished document: Canterbury Archaeological Trust. 2011. An archaeological watching brief during interior refurbishment and exterior drainage works at St Peter and St Paul's Church, South Street, Boughton under Blean.
<8>XYMap: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. [Mapped feature: #33890 church, ]