Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TQ 96 SW 1223
Type of record:Listed Building


Grade II* listed building. Main construction periods 1500 to 1999. Bogle, sometimes known as Beaugill, is a timber framed house, originally an oblong with plaster infill but now red Tudor brick. Wings were added at both ends in the seventeenth century, and were extended and modernised in the eighteenth (north wing) and twentieth (south) centuries. A nearby barn is built of early brick and may be contemporary, although much modernised.

Grid Reference:TQ 9474 6145
Map Sheet:TQ96SW

Monument Types

  • BARN (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD to 1901 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II*) 1106389: BOGLE WITH GARDEN WALL

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

Description from record TQ 96 SW 47:
[TQ 9474 6146] Bogle [NAT] (1) Beaugill, Lynsted, is a beautiful specimen of a mixed Tudor and Jacobean house. Now the property of Dr. Selby, it has passed through the hands of the Drurys, Hugessons and Barlings. A long red-bricked house, with a timber frame still showing. It has a prominent porch with a delicate board, in the centre of which appear 1643 and HWII of the Hugesson family. There is little doubt that Beaugill was a square thatched Tudor residence, added to in the 17th century with wings at either end. At the back is the original well court. The house has been converted by Dr. Selby into four tenements. (2) The house was originally plaster and timber, of an oblong shape with a thatched roof, but is now red Tudor brick and timber. Four rooms and the porch were added in 1643 and it seems likely that the brickwork and gate posts and Tudor barn were all of that date. (3) The spelling of Bogle is correct. Of the present two end wings at the rear of the house, the south one was added in 1917, using narrow brick in English Bond, and the north wing is of the 18th century. The small central outbuilding containing the old kitchen is contemporary with the house, and has been joined to the north wing with a corridor in our time." (4) A fine building in excellent condition, as described above, retaining most of its original features. Barn at "A" (TQ 9471 6143) built of early brick, but all features are modern restorations and the roof is modern. Used for a store and garage. GP/AO/59/197/4 House from N.W.: 197/5 Porch from west. (5) Bogle [NR] (6) Re-investigated: still as described above. (7) [TQ 9474 6144] Bogle [NR] (8) Bogle with garden wall (formerly listed as Beaugill), Grade II*, Lynsted Lane (east side). House. 16th century and extended c. 1643 and 20th century. (For full description see list.) (9) Beaugill, or Bogle; a timber-framed, brick-nogged house, dated 1643. Modern windows; but still a handsome piece of large-scale vernacular, with its red-brick garden walls and contemporary brick barn to the rear. (10) Additional bibliograpy (11-14)

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
2/73 Bogle with garden wall (formerly listed as 27.8.52 Beaugill)
House. C16 and extended c.1643 and C20. Timber framed with red brick infill and plain tiled roof. Originally 4 framed bays extended 1 bay c.1643 and contemporary service wing to rear with C18 and early C20 wings to rear. Two storeys and basement, small panel framing, the left end bay once jettied, with attic and 2 hipped dormers. Kneelered parapet gables and stacks to centre left and to end right and end left, each with 2 diagonal set flues. Four 3 light wood mullion windows and one 2 light to right on first floor, and four 3 light windows on ground floor. Plank and stud door in moulded surround in central 2 storey porch with bargeboarded and pendant gable. Interior: stone fireplace in hall, oak panelling and chamfered and moulded doors and doorways, mullioned window to rear with carved surrounds and console brackets. Internal plan much altered. Materials for the brick nogging and extension of the house from the mansion of the Drury's in Lynsted Street, pulled down by the Huggesons c.1643. Porch with inscription: H and MH and JH on posts, references to 1643 WH II John, James and William Huggeson, and James and Mary Huggeson. Garden wall, extends forwards 10 yards from end left of house, at 8 foot height, and part encloses front garden at 3 foot height for 10 yards to C20 gateway. The gateways and wall to right are not of special interest. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 379; Selby, Teynham Manor and Hundred, 1982 edn., Iggelsden, vol 22 p.51). Listing NGR: TQ9474261453 (15)

<1> OS 6" 1909 (OS Card Reference). SKE48324.

<2> A Saunter through Kent 22 1928 49 (C Igglesden) (OS Card Reference). SKE32868.

<3> Teynham Manor and Hundred 1935 77 (S Selby) (OS Card Reference). SKE49848.

<4> Oral - Mrs Yerbury, Lynsted Faversham 8 7 59 (OS Card Reference). SKE47895.

<6> F2 ASP 22-JUL-59 (OS Card Reference). SKE43151.

<7> OS 6" 1961 (OS Card Reference). SKE48369.

<8> F3 AC 11-JUL-63 (OS Card Reference). SKE43365.

<9> OS 1:10000 1980 (OS Card Reference). SKE48166.

<10> Teynham Manor and Hundred 1982 (E Selby) (OS Card Reference). SKE49850.

<11> DOE (HHR) Kent Boro of Swale 21 March 1985 28-9 (OS Card Reference). SKE40577.

<12> The Buildings of England North East and East Kent 1983 379 (J Newman ed N Pevsner) (OS Card Reference). SKE50192.

<13> Field report for monument TQ 96 SW 47 - July, 1959 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4980.

<14> Field report for monument TQ 96 SW 47 - July, 1963 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4981.

<15> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1909.
<2>OS Card Reference: A Saunter through Kent 22 1928 49 (C Igglesden).
<3>OS Card Reference: Teynham Manor and Hundred 1935 77 (S Selby).
<4>OS Card Reference: Oral - Mrs Yerbury, Lynsted Faversham 8 7 59.
<6>OS Card Reference: F2 ASP 22-JUL-59.
<7>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1961.
<8>OS Card Reference: F3 AC 11-JUL-63.
<9>OS Card Reference: OS 1:10000 1980.
<10>OS Card Reference: Teynham Manor and Hundred 1982 (E Selby).
<11>OS Card Reference: DOE (HHR) Kent Boro of Swale 21 March 1985 28-9.
<12>OS Card Reference: The Buildings of England North East and East Kent 1983 379 (J Newman ed N Pevsner).
<13>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 96 SW 47 - July, 1959.
<14>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 96 SW 47 - July, 1963.
<15>XYMap: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. [Mapped feature: #33442 Listed building, ]