Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TQ 85 NW 170
Type of record:Listed Building


Grade I listed building. Main construction periods 1100 to 1791. Church comprising a 13th century chancel and nave with later alterations and additions including enlargement of the chancel during the 14th century and construction of the tower in the late 14th century. During the 16th century the north transept was built, the north chapel was built circa 1603. The south porch was a 19th century addition. The church is constructed of flint and stone with plain tile roofs. The graveyard has a series of table tombs ranging from the late seventeenth century to the late eighteenth century

Grid Reference:TQ 8040 5764
Map Sheet:TQ85NW

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1100 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (I) 1086165: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

Description from record TQ 85 NW 7 :
[TQ 8040 5764] St. Mary's Church [NAT] (1) The church of St. Mary, Thurnham, has a chancel and nave of the 13th century but the east end of the chancel is a 14th century addition. The tower is late 14th century, the north transept 16th century and the south porch 19th century. (2) In use for ecclesiastical purposes. (3) Parish church of St. Mary the Virgin. Grade I. 12th century to early 17th century. (4) TQ 80405764. St. Mary's Church, in use. Published 1:2500 survey correct. (5) Additional bibliography. (6)

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
6/205 Church of St. Mary the 26.4.68 Virgin
Parish church. C12 to early C17. North chapel of galleted stone, porches of small uneven blocks of stone, rest random flint and stone. Plain tile roofs. West tower, continuous nave and chancel with opposed north and south porches at west end.Rectangular north chapel towards east end of nave. Battlemented C14 tower of 2 stages, upper stage possibly rebuilt, with angle buttresses. Cusped single-light belfry openings, small Decorated west window and small west door with 2-centred arched head, lightly-moulded jambs and hood-mould. South porch: early C15, on plinth. Earlier inner door with 2-centred arched head and moulded jambs. South wall of nave and chancel contains 2 restored early Perpendicular windows with hood-moulds towards west end, one restored lancet and one cusped 2-light window with no central light, set in architrave with angled head. Slight trace of straight-joint immediately east of lancet; section to west C12 or C13, section to east C14. East end has clasping buttresses and large restored decorated east window under hood- moulds stopped with carved heads. North chapel: circa 1603. Rectangular on high stone plinth with small hipped roof behind battlemented parapet. East wall has large rectangular window of 4 plain round-headed lights under hood-mould. Smaller 3- light window in same style in north wall, with restored blocked 3-centred arched doorway with rectangular hood-mould to west. Small projecting stone stack at junction of west wall and nave. North wall of nave has single restored early Perpendicular window. North porch: similar to south porch, but with original roof. Interior: Blocked round-headed Norman window in west end of north wall. C14 tower arch. Single C15 round-headed arch to north chapel, withmoulded capitals to piers, 3 possibly C14 crown- post trusses to nave with moulded tie-beams and crown-posts Chancel roof with collar purlin but no crown-posts. Chapel roof early C17 with moulded beam and joists. 2 very small stone fragments in south wall of chancel, one containing top of a small decorative shaft. Moulded corbels in north and south walls, possibly for rood loft.Aumbry. Piscina with shaped stone basin. 2-centred arched sedile with filletted roll-moulding. Elaborately carved reredos in memory of Mrs. Julia Jane Hampson, d. 1904. wife of the Rev. William Seymour Hampson, made in Oberammergau. Late C18 or early C19 pews. Octagonal font, possibly C14, decorated with 8 different emblems. Monuments: 2 small brasses in Chapel floor; one to William Covert, one to Lady Barbara Cutt, d. 1618, who founded the chapel in honour of Sir Henry Cutt, knight, her first husband. On west wall of chapel, momument with open pediment and fluted pilasters with shield to base, to memory of Richard Sheldon Esq., d. 1736. Monument on south wall of chancel in form of parchment hung with drapes and surmounted by shield and gadrooned vase to memory of Mariae Dering, d. 1725. On north wall of chancel, monument with broken pediment containing plain urn, to memory of Thomas Wise, d. 1790 and other members of the family. Similar monument adjacent,to Thomas Burwash, d. 1791, and members of Wise family.
Listing NGR: TQ8023257319 (9)


<1> OS 6" 1961 (OS Card Reference). SKE48369.

<2> MHLG (Hollingbourne R.D.) 2153/11/A Nov 1960 85 (OS Card Reference). SKE47049.

<3> F1 CFW 23-Nov-61 (OS Card Reference). SKE42734.

<4> DOE (HHR) Boro of Maidstone 20.7.84 100-1 (OS Card Reference). SKE39850.

<5> F2 MJF 19-Mar-86 (OS Card Reference). SKE43349.

<6> Bldgs of Eng-North East & East Kent 1983 477-478 (J Newman) (OS Card Reference). SKE38129.

<7> Field report for monument TQ 85 NW 7 - November, 1961 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4422.

<8> Field report for monument TQ 85 NW 7 - March, 1986 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4423.

<10> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1961.
<2>OS Card Reference: MHLG (Hollingbourne R.D.) 2153/11/A Nov 1960 85.
<3>OS Card Reference: F1 CFW 23-Nov-61.
<4>OS Card Reference: DOE (HHR) Boro of Maidstone 20.7.84 100-1.
<5>OS Card Reference: F2 MJF 19-Mar-86.
<6>OS Card Reference: Bldgs of Eng-North East & East Kent 1983 477-478 (J Newman).
<7>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 85 NW 7 - November, 1961.
<8>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 85 NW 7 - March, 1986.
<10>XYMap: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. [Mapped feature: #27991 Church, ]