Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TQ 84 NW 16
Type of record:Listed Building
Name:Church of All Saints, Ulcombe


Grade I listed building.A 13th century parish church including Norman work. The church was altered in the 14th and 15th century. The church was altered internally between 1956 and 1963 and restored in the 1980s. It is built of stone with plain tile roofs.

Grid Reference:TQ 8465 4976
Map Sheet:TQ84NW

Monument Types

Protected Status:Listed Building (I) 1060850: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

[TQ 8466 4977] Church [NAT] (1) Church of All Saints, Ulcombe. The pillar of the arcade of the south Chapel, and one window are Norman, the chancel and nave Early English. The south chapel and the aisle are decorated, the south porch and the tower perpendicular. The church is dedicated to All Saints and was made collegiate by Stephen Langton, Archbishop of Canterbury about 1220. The collegiate seems to have been dropped soon after 1293 the church reverting to an undivided rectory as before. (3) In use. (4) Checked and correct. (5) Church of All Saints. Grade I. (6)(7) Additional bibliography. (8)(9) Late IA cremation urn found by gravedigger in new graveyard extension (Nov 1995) cont cremated bone. Mostly base sherds found of cordoned and decorated urn in a sandy fabric. Now in Maidstone Museum. (10)

Description from record TQ 84 NW 157:
The following text is from the original listed building designation:
ULCOMBE ULCOMBE HILL TQ 84 NW (west side) Church of 5/196 All Saints 26.4.68 GV I
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, altered internally 1956-63, restored 1980s. Stone, with plain tile roofs. West tower with vestry to south, nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel, north and south chancel chapels stopping short of east end, north-east chapel to nave. West tower: C15. 3 stages on moulded plinth, with battlements above moulded, gargoyled string. Polygonal south-east stair turret, taller than tower, also with gargoyled string and battlements. Diagonal buttresses. Belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with square-topped hoodmould. Single trefoil-headed light with hoodmould to all but east side of second stage. 2-centred arched 3-light traceried west window with moulded hoodmould. 2-centred arched casement-moulded west doorway, formerly with slender attached shaft to either side. Moulded hoodmould with scrolled ends. Ribbed door. South vestry: C19 or later. Stone rubble. Lean-to roof. Re-set medieval trefoil-headed light. C19 light and doorway to south. South aisle: C13, on moulded plinth, with 3 buttresses. Parapet above moulded string. C14 two-light window with renewed hoodmould to west of porch. C19 window to east of porch. Porch: C15. Small blocks of coursed stone, on moulded plinth. Parapet above moulded string. Two-light window to east and west with squared hoodmoulds. Niche above doorway. 2-centred arched casement-moulded doorway, formerly with attached shaft either side. Quatrefoiled spandrels with shields. Squared hoodmould. Moulded inner doorway, probably C14, with roll-and-fillet hoodmould with scrolled ends. Ribbed inner door. South chancel chapel: C12 origins. Moulded plinth. Low parapet without string. South-east angle buttress. 2 largely C19 three-light south windows, one with hoodmould. Similar east window. Chancel: C13, probably with C12 origins. Stone rubble. No plinth. Gabled. North-east and south-east clasping buttresses. South window "especially interesting" (J Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 19801; early C14, of 3 lights, in Bethersden marble, with hoodmould. C13 east window of 3 individual, widely-spaced stepped lancets, that to north slightly narrower. North window C14; three broad lights with ogee heads, that to centre reaching to head of window. Roll-and-fillet hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. North chancel chapel and north-east nave chapel: former late C15 or early C16, latter C13 but with continuous north elevation. Moulded plinth. Lean-to roof. Diagonal north-east and north-west buttresses. 3-light traceried east window with hoodmould. Two 3-light north windows to east of door, with moulded jambs and squared hoodmoulds. One 2-light window over C19 doorway to west end of north chancel chapel. 3-light north window to nave chapel, with moulded jambs and squared hoodmould. Similar 2-light window to west end. Nave: north elevation: no plinth. Two 2-light windows, that to east with ogee-headed lights and roll-and-fillet hoodmould with scrolled ends. Part of jamb and head of blocked round-headed window high in wall. Moulded 2-centred-arched doorway between windows. Interior: Structure: C13.three-bay south arcade to nave, of broad pointed chamfered arches and rectangular piers with undercut strings. Arch to north-east nave chapel similar, but with hollow chamfer. 2-bay chancel arcade to north and south. Circular C12 column to centre of south arcade, with scalloped capital and ring- moulded base. Unchamfered C13 pointed arches springing from rectangular side piers with moulded strings and cushion chamfer- stops. Late C15 or early C16 north arcade with moulded 4-centred arches springing from moulded side shafts and central pier of 4 attached columns with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch C13, possibly with C12 base, with tall pointed arch springing from high chamfered imposts. C15 tower arch with 3 orders of hollow chamfers and attached shaft each side with moulded capital and base. C14 arch between south aisle and south chapel, of 2 orders, with attached semi-octagonal shaft either side with moulded capital and base. East end of chancel has C13 blind arcade of single arch to north and south with undercut hoodmould, dying into continuous chamfered string running beneath east lancets. Lancets flanked by 4 Purbeck marble shafts with bell capitals, bases and shaft rings, and continuous hollow chamfer with stylized roses. Continuous hoodmould. 3 blocked, deeply splayed round-headed windows high up in north wall of nave. Roof: early C16 roof to north chancel chapel, with multiple roll mouldings to beams, joists and cornice. Remaining roofs ribbed and boarded in C19. Fittings: C13 piscina to south wall of south chancel chapel. 2 broad aumbries to east end of chancel, that to south incorporating piscina. Rood loft stairs within pier to north- east end of nave. Finely carved late C15 or early C16 traceried parclose screen to west bay of north chancel arcade, with linenfold panelling to base. C15 screen now in west bay of south chancel arcade, of 7 cinquefoil-headed lights with carved spandrels. 5 stalls below it, 3 with carved misericords. Decoration: wall-painting: cross to north side of west pier of south nave arcade; St Michael overcoming Satan on south side of same pier; late C13 crucified Christ to each side of soffit of central arch of south arcade; Dives and Lazarus to south side of east pier of same arcade; crucifixion to west side of east pier of south chancel arcade; wavy patterning to chamfer of blind arcade on south side of chancel; 5 priestly heads towards west end of north blind arcade; substantial remains of chevron patterning to soffit of north-east nave arch, and "key" to south side of north-east nave chapel. Stained glass: grisaille glass in north window of chancel. Armorial glass in east window of north chancel chapel, restored 1853, in memory of St. Leger family. Monuments: memorial tablet to Samuel Belcher, d. 1760, on south wall of south chancel chapel, with broken-based pediment. Black and white marble tablet to members of Belcher family, d. between 1739 and 1819, on same wall, with draped urn and Greek key pattern. Wall tablet to William Belcher, d. 1709, to north wall of south chancel chapel, with cherub, scrolls, cornice, urns and escutcheon. Chest tomb against north wall of north chancel chapel bearing canopied brass to William Maydeston, Knight, d. 1419. Draped cartouche to Francis Clerke Esq., d. 1691 above large chest tomb with moulded plinth and corniced lid, on north wall between 2 north chapels. Uninscribed brass above the tomb chest, moved from vestry 1913, probably of a knight, d. 1442. Fine brass to Randulph Sentleger Esquire, d. 1470, and wife Anne on floor of north-east nave chapel. Wall memorial to Sir Francis Clerke, d. 1685, on north wall of north-east nave chapel, finely carved, in black and white marble with guilloche surround, flanked by Ionic columns, surmounted by pediment with escutcheon. Associated with large chest tomb below it. Memorial tablet to Lady Sarah Wandesforde, d. 1838, by T. & E.Gaffin, on south wall of same chapel; woman borne heavenward. Tablet to Marquess of Ormonde, d. 1820 by J. Bacon Jun. & S.Manning, on same wall; mourner with sarcophagus. A collegiate church from circa 1220 to 1293 (J.Newman, Op. Cit.). Listing NGR: TQ8462549725 (13)

<1> OS 6" 1961 (OS Card Reference). SKE48369.

<2> MHLG (Hollingbourn RD 2153/11/A Nov 1960) 87 (OS Card Reference). SKE47048.

<3> The Hist of Kent 2 1782 426 (E Hasted) (OS Card Reference). SKE50355.

<4> F1 CFW 07.12.61 (OS Card Reference). SKE42464.

<5> F2 CFW 16.01.64 (OS Card Reference). SKE43244.

<6> DOE(HHR) Borough of Maidstone Kent 18.12.85 114-116 (OS Card Reference). SKE40862.

<7> Bldgs of Eng-West Kent & the Weald 1980 587-588 (OS Card Reference). SKE38164.

<8> Recologea Papers 1 No5 1965 10-12 (OS Card Reference). SKE49100.

<9> The Antiquary 2 no 30 1872 145 (OS Card Reference). SKE49938.

<10> Field report for monument TQ 84 NW 16 - December, 1961 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4374.

<11> Field report for monument TQ 84 NW 16 - January, 1964 (Bibliographic reference). SKE4375.

<12> Not applicable, SMR Kent uncatalogued index entry, Pers Comm R Cross, Canterbury Arch Trust to KCC 17/11/95 (Miscellaneous Material). SKE6440.

<13> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1961.
<2>OS Card Reference: MHLG (Hollingbourn RD 2153/11/A Nov 1960) 87.
<3>OS Card Reference: The Hist of Kent 2 1782 426 (E Hasted).
<4>OS Card Reference: F1 CFW 07.12.61.
<5>OS Card Reference: F2 CFW 16.01.64.
<6>OS Card Reference: DOE(HHR) Borough of Maidstone Kent 18.12.85 114-116.
<7>OS Card Reference: Bldgs of Eng-West Kent & the Weald 1980 587-588.
<8>OS Card Reference: Recologea Papers 1 No5 1965 10-12.
<9>OS Card Reference: The Antiquary 2 no 30 1872 145.
<10>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 84 NW 16 - December, 1961.
<11>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 84 NW 16 - January, 1964.
<12>Miscellaneous Material: Not applicable. SMR Kent uncatalogued index entry. Pers Comm R Cross, Canterbury Arch Trust to KCC 17/11/95.
<13>XYMap: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. [Mapped feature: #27540 Church, ]