Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TR 14 SW 131
Type of record:Listed Building


Grade I listed building. Main construction periods 1000 to 1604. C11th, C13th and C14th

Grid Reference:TR 1019 4449
Map Sheet:TR14SW

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval or Anglo-Saxon to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (I) 1232978: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

Description from record TR 14 SW 16 :
(TR 10194450) St Mary's Church (NAT) (1) The Church of St. Mary, Hasterleigh, contains Norman and later work. (2) In normal use. (3) Church of St Mary, Hastingleigh. 17/1 Grade B. Parish Church. Chancel, Nave with South Aisle, West Porch and Tower at the west end of the Aisle. Nave Norman; Chancel, Aisle and Tower, C.13; West Porch C.14. King-post roof throughout. C.15 screen. (4,5)

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
5/69 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. CII, C13 chancel and tower, C14 south aisle and porch. Chancel, nave with south aisle, south west tower and western porch. Flint, the upper stages of the tower rebuilt in red brick, with plain tiled roof. Roll moulded west door with hollow moulded hood set in C14 timber porch on flint base, with cusped bargeboard. Crown post roof and benches within porch. Massive offset buttresses to north nave. Heavily restored outer jambs of Chancel lancets and decorated style nave windows (downpipe hopper dated 1879). Exposed jambs of possible Anglo-Saxon north door, with C12 blocked round headed doorway set within. Interior: 2 bay south arcade on octagonal piers, with double chamfered arches, westernmost respond later in character. Identical chancel arch. Jambs of tall, possibly Anglo-Saxon north door. Roof of 3 crown posts. C13 double chamfered arch to south west tower, with identical arch to south aisle (the arcade therefore a later rebuild of original C13 aisle openings). Roof of 2 crown posts and brackets. Chancel with 2 light ogee headed south-western window, otherwise 4 closely packed and uneven lancets to each of north and south walls, with string course. Triple lancet east window with string course. Roof of 4 crown posts, with extra moulded tie beam. Fittings: simple trefoiled and deeply chamfered piscina in chancel, and aumbreys in south and north walls. Turned baluster altar rail c. 1700, and contemporary panelled pulpit. Some late medieval/C17 panelling reused in dividing screens in church after 1879 removal of box pews., C15 rood screen, with 5 bays with depressed ogee arch and 6 traceriedlights over in each flanking bay. Simple arched piscina to south aisle. Wall paintings in nave (within a round headed niche) and aisle (The Annunciation). C13 grisaille glass, a complete lancet in the chancel north wall, and 2 C16 armorial windows in the south wall. Brass in nave floor, John Halke, d, 1604, and Anne his wife (d. 1596). Simple inscription set in marble slab with a detached hawk over (Grandparents of Dr. William Harvey, the discoverer of circulation of blood). See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 346; church guide).
Listing NGR: TR0929244733 (7)

<1> OS 6" 1961 (OS Card Reference). SKE48369.

<2> MHLG (1886/11/A, July 1955) 37 (OS Card Reference). SKE46938.

<3> F1 CFW 18-APR-1963 (OS Card Reference). SKE42623.

<4> Source ref 4 is the full text of Source ref 2. (OS Card Reference). SKE49512.

<5> Bldgs of Eng 1983 NE & E Kent 346 (J Newman) (OS Card Reference). SKE37727.

<6> Field report for monument TR 14 SW 16 - April, 1963 (Bibliographic reference). SKE5458.

<7> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>OS Card Reference: OS 6" 1961.
<2>OS Card Reference: MHLG (1886/11/A, July 1955) 37.
<3>OS Card Reference: F1 CFW 18-APR-1963.
<4>OS Card Reference: Source ref 4 is the full text of Source ref 2..
<5>OS Card Reference: Bldgs of Eng 1983 NE & E Kent 346 (J Newman).
<6>Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TR 14 SW 16 - April, 1963.
<7>XYMap: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. [Mapped feature: #20954 Church, ]