Exploring Kent's Past

Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TR 15 SE 277
Type of record:Monument
Name:Second World War Civil Defence Warden’s Post in the Old Boys’ Club at the rear of the Red Lion Inn, Bridge

Summary

By late November 1940 the ‘Old Boys’ Club at the rear of the Red Lion Inn, Bridge' was in use as a civil-defence warden’s post. The post had been vacated by the end of 1941.


Grid Reference:TR 1834 5422
Map Sheet:TR15SE
Parish:BRIDGE, CANTERBURY, KENT

Monument Types

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

By late November 1940 the ‘Old Boys’ Club at the rear of the Red Lion Inn, Bridge' was in use as a 'warden’s post and store for air-raid precautions and First-aid equipment.’ By mid October the following year this had proven unsuitable, and the wardens were offered the use of a room in Mrs Chapman’s House on Laundry Lane. The post had been vacated by the end of the year. The public house is a Listed building, it is not yet clear whether the club house survives.
Owner : Private
Publicly accessible : Unknown
How accessed for survey :
Tourism Potential :
Condition : unknown
Date of visit :


Bridge Blean Rural District Council, 01/01/39, Bridge Blean Rural District Council War Administration Minute Books (Unpublished document). SKE15279.


Bridge Blean Rural District Council, 01/01/39, Bridge Blean Rural District Council War Administration Minute Books (Unpublished document). Ske15279.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
---Unpublished document: Bridge Blean Rural District Council. 01/01/39. Bridge Blean Rural District Council War Administration Minute Books.
Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund