It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.
|HER Number:||TQ 97 SE 1065|
|Type of record:||Listed Building|
|Name:||THE RUINS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE|
Grade II* listed building.
|Grid Reference:||TQ 99421 71550|
|Parish:||EASTCHURCH, SWALE, KENT|
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1536 AD to 2050 AD) + Sci.Date
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 1015681: SHURLAND HOUSE: EARLY 16TH CENTURY GREAT HOUSE AND ASSOCIATED REMAINS; Listed Building (II*) 1258505: THE RUINS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE|
If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.
The following text is from the original listed building designation:
LEYSDOWN ROAD 1. 5282 (East Side) Eastchurch, Sheerness The Ruins of Shurland Hall or Castle TQ 97 SE 13/144 14.5.52.
II* GV 2. Built by Sir Thomas Cheney during the reign of Henry VIII partly of materials said to have been brought from Chilham Castle on the mainland of Kent, and then consisting of several courtyards. The portion that remains faces west. 2 storeys. Red brick with a diaper pattern of grey headers on a stone base. 6 windows, hung sashes with the remains of glazing bars but all the glass missing. The 2 centre window bays are flanked by octagonal turrets of 3 storeys each, which have stone quoins and castellated parapets. Within these at the north end is a tall and wide 4-centred stone doorway with dripstone, carved spandrels and an iron-studded door. 1 small ground floor window to the south of the main doorway is a former doorway. On each side of the turrets are 2 windows on the 1st floor and 1 window on the ground floor. Brick buttress at the south end. Projection at the north end with stone quoins, but now half collapsed. Part of the wing behind it, which is of stone, still remains. The east front has 4 casement windows of 2 lights, each with 4-centred heads, stone mullions and dripstones. Wide 4-centred stone doorway. To the east is a courtyard enclosed with the remains of a building to ground floor height, of red brick on the north side and of stone on the east side. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn were entertained here on 7 October 1532, so the house was probably complete before that date.
Listing NGR: TR0030470678
Dendrochronology dating of the gatehouse gave a date range of 1536-1561. (2)
English Heritage, 2008, Shurland Hall Gatehouse, Eastchurch, Isle of Sheppey, Kent: Tree-Ring Analysis of Timbers (Unpublished document). SKE24059.
<1> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.
<2> Vernacular Architecture Group, ADS Dendrochronology Database, Vol. 40, Pg. 114 (Website). SKE17391.
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2008. Shurland Hall Gatehouse, Eastchurch, Isle of Sheppey, Kent: Tree-Ring Analysis of Timbers. |
|<1>||Map: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. |
|<2>||Website: Vernacular Architecture Group. ADS Dendrochronology Database. Vol. 40, Pg. 114. |
|TQ 97 SE 7||Part of: SHURLAND HOUSE: EARLY 16TH CENTURY GREAT HOUSE AND ASSOCIATED REMAINS (Monument)|
|TQ 97 SE 1062||Part of: THE GARDEN WALLS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE (Listed Building)|
Related thematic articles