Exploring Kent's Past

Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TR 15 SE 202
Type of record:Listed Building
Name:BRIDGE HILL HOUSE

Summary

Grade II listed building. Main construction periods 1767 to 1832

Summary from record TR 15 SE 272:

In mid July 1943 Bridge Hill House seems to have been under military occupation - either on its own or in connection with the neighbouring Highland Court, Patrixbourne (see separate entry) - when Kent Mobile Reserve erected an Equipment Storage Hut in the grounds.


Grid Reference:TR 18835 53695
Map Sheet:TR15SE
Parish:BRIDGE, CANTERBURY, KENT

Monument Types

Protected Status:Listed Building (II) 1260422: BRIDGE HILL HOUSE

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
In the entry for:
BRIDGE 22/1000 HIGHAM LANE (OFF)
Bridge Hill House
i. the grid reference shall be amended to:
TR 2053
ii. the grade shall be entered as: II
iii. the reference to BARHAM parish on page II of the list shall read BRIDGE.
The listwas previously amended in respect of this entry on 3 July 1987.
1. 5273 BRIDGE HIGHAM LANE (OFF)
TR 1953 Bridge Hill House 22/1000
2. House. Late C18 with early C19 side additions and entrance lobby. Stuccoed with hipped slate roof and stuccoed chimneystacks 2 to 3 storeys. Main front has 3 storey range with paired brackets. 3 16 pane sashes in moulded architrave with vermiculated keystones, cill brackets and band between floors. 1 bay matching wing to right of lower elevation with circular window and 2 storey early C19 addition attached to this. Between the 2 wings is a projecting early C19 single storey entrance porch with parapet wall and cornice and 2 moulded bands. Doorway with simple moulded pilasters and brackets supporting projecting curved hood. To left of main block is another 3 storey 1 bay wing. 2 storeys to rear with long casement windows at 1st floor set in moulded surrounds with vermiculated keystones. Ground floor casements with transom lights and jalousies opening on to tented verandah with copper roof, cast iron tracery arches and columns consisting of kindles of slender bars terminating in floral emblems. Internally, fittings are of high quality with marble fire surrounds, 6 panelled doors, window shutters, a sweeping staircase with cut and bracketed strings and an oval roof light over the top landing. Internally the entrance porch has a domed fanlight in etched glass rising from richly decorated plaster band, image niche and large archway leading to hall; stone flags to floor. The first recorded occupant was Charles Louis Secondal Baron de Montesquieu. Later occupants were the Anderson family of shipping line fame.
Listing NGR: TR1883553695

Description from record TR 15 SE 272:
In mid July 1943 Bridge Hill House seems to have been under military occupation - either on its own or in connection with the neighbouring Highland Court, Patrixbourne (see separate entry) - when Kent Mobile Reserve erected an Equipment Storage Hut in the grounds.
Owner : Private
Publicly accessible : No
How accessed for survey :
Tourism Potential :
Condition : unknown
Date of visit :


English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.


Bridge Blean Rural District Council, 01/01/39, Bridge Blean Rural District Council War Administration Minute Books (Unpublished document). SKE15267.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
---Unpublished document: Bridge Blean Rural District Council. 01/01/39. Bridge Blean Rural District Council War Administration Minute Books.
---Map: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund