Exploring Kent's Past

Link to printer-friendly page

It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.

Monument details

HER Number:TR 04 NW 175
Type of record:Listed Building
Name:BOUGHTON COURT

Summary

Grade II* listed building. Main construction periods 1300 to 1899

Summary from record TR 04 NW 37 :

Manor House. 14th c crypt with 16th c structure over reclad in 19th c

Summary from record TR 04 NW 40 :

C17 house with C14 undercroft


Grid Reference:TR 0328 4820
Map Sheet:TR04NW
Parish:BOUGHTON ALUPH, ASHFORD, KENT

Monument Types

Protected Status:Listed Building (II*) 1362711: BOUGHTON COURT

Full description

If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us.

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH CHURCH LANE (west end)
5/7 Boughton Court
13.10.52 II*
Manor House. C14 crypt, with C16 structure over reclad in C19. Stone crypt, timber framed over, clad in red brick with plain tile roof. 2 storeys on brick and rubble plinth; kneelered parapet gables to roof with stack to left, central stack and end stack to right. Regular fenestration of 5 three-light Dering windows with drip moulds. C19 plank door in 2 storey porch, in the upper storey a 2 light Dering window and small bullseye over that. Interior: the central doorway leads into a barrel vaulted passage through the central chimney stack, an arrangement dating from the insertion of the stack into an earlier screens passage. The house to right of the central stack stands on a 4 bay vaulted crypt. This has a blocked doorway to the front of the house, and an internal stairway into the house. On either end wall are ogee-headed niches. The vault ribs are double-chamfered, the whole structure has similarities to nearby church of All Saints, and like the main body of the church dates to the time of Sir Thomas de Aldon, owner of the manor c1329-61, and who had licence to crenellate his house 1339. See Igglesdon, XXV and B.O.E., Kent II, 150.
Listing NGR: TR0327948214

Description from record TR 04 NW 37 :
(TR03284821) Boughton Court [NAT] (1) Boughton Court. Manor House. 14th c crypt with 16th c structure over reclad in 19th c. Stone crypt timber framed over, clad in red brick with plain tile roof. 2 storeys on brick and rubble plinth; kneelered parapet gables to roof with stack to left, central stack and end stack to right. (2) Boughton Court. Mainly 19th c above ground, but built on a rib-vaulted undercroft. Sir Thomas de Aldon was granted a license to build a fortified house in 1339. (3)

Description from record TR 04 NW 40 :
C17 house with C14 undercroft


<1> OS Card / NAR index entry, OS 1: 2500 (Unpublished document). SKE6461.


<2> OS Card / NAR index entry, DOE (HHR) District of Ashford, 13 August 1984 (6) (Unpublished document). SKE6461.


<3> OS Card / NAR index entry, Bldgs of Eng; North East and East Kent, 1983, 150 (J Newman) (Unpublished document). SKE6461.

Sources and further reading

Cross-ref. Source description
<1>Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. OS 1: 2500.
<2>Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. DOE (HHR) District of Ashford, 13 August 1984 (6).
<3>Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. Bldgs of Eng; North East and East Kent, 1983, 150 (J Newman).
Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund